Monday, May 31, 2010



We've been here at Myrtle Beach for over a week now, but it definitely feels like a lot longer!! All of our students have gotten their jobs now, and will begin working this week!! This year they will be working at Wendy's, Ocean Creek (housekeeping), Sketchers, Wal-Mart, McDonald's, Salsarita's, Zaxby's, and Build-A-Bear. This past weekend we had one of my favorite times of the week, beach evangelism!! Beach evangelism is a time when all 73 of our students and staff hit the beach for an hour and a half and interact with people hanging out on the beach with the intent of sharing the gospel with them. You might be thinking "man, that is pushy", or "I don't know if I agree with that." But, if you are a believer in Christ, I would ask you to search the scriptures and even your own heart regarding your feelings on evangelism. How did you come to faith? Was it merely by watching someone's actions around you, or did someone talk with you about what having a relationship with Jesus is really all about? Two of my favorite verses about evangelism are these:
1 Peter 3:15-16-"15But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,16keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.

Romans 10:13-15 "For, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."
How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? 15And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!"

These verses tell me that not only is it commanded by God's word to be an obedient Christian and share my faith, but it is the only way that the lost will be reached. I'm not saying that it isn't intimidating to walk up to a stranger and ask them hard questions about where they stand with God, but it is possible with His strength! One of the cool things about this summer is that students come in with fear and anxiety about sharing their faith on the beach, and once they get out there and see how God works, they become truly passionate about it!! This Saturday, I had a prayer answered that i have been praying daily for a year! Last year, in the middle of the summer, I met a teenage girl named Karin on the beach. As I shared God's word with her for the first time, she wept. She knew that I had a peace and a contentment in my life that she knew nothing of; I told her it could be hers in only a moment. She hesitated saying, "I don't know enough about Jesus". So for the last year, I have prayed that someone this summer would walk up to her on the beach and share their faith with her again (she's from Myrtle Beach). As I was walking back from our evangelism time on saturday, my friend Ashley told me that she got to talk to a girl we had spoken with last year. Immediately i was filled with hope, knowing that it was her. Then Ashley said, "she remembered everything yall told her last year. Her name is Karin." I burst into tears at God's faithfulness, and was filled with excitement when i found out that she will be going to Clemson in the fall, where Campus Outreach is expanding!! We have invited her to come hang out with our students this summer, so please join me in praying that she will show up! Not only did that happen, but 4 girls committed their lives to Jesus on Saturday. I will keep updating more about evangelism, but feel free to leave questions or comments asking more about it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment