Friday, March 12, 2010

Spring Break!!

We went sledding!!!-so fun!

jake painted the bookshelves a really pale blue for me, i love it ;)
the tulips jake got me for valentine's day <3

Spring break, well actually more like winter break, was last week for PC students. Jake and I decided it would be fun to go to his parent's cabin in the mountains of North Carolina for a night or two, even though we probably wouldnt have any running water since the pipes were so cold. I brought along tons of books, magazines, games (who doesn't love a good game of scattergories before bed?), and of course my Disney Princess and Arthur coloring books! It was definitely a restful break, i think we slept 11 hours a night!! But it was also my first "camper" experience in a while (my last one was at LP the summer i was a room leader and didn't have a stove). While we were there we:
  • managed to overflow a shower because the pipes were frozen
  • got snowed in with 8 inches of snow!
  • watched a movie every day (btw, 7 Pounds might be the worst movie ever)
  • ate most of the food up there..aka didn't bring anything but a box of cereal w us
  • discovered a new fav tv show, Madhouse on the History channel
If you havent seen this show, you HAVE to watch it. It comes on every Sunday night at 11, but we seriously stayed up til 3 to watch tons of episodes. This show is Rutherford County all the way...it's based around Bowman Gray stadium in Winston-Salem (where i'm originally from), and focuses on the lives of a few different teams of modified race car drivers. It might not sound that good but its like The Real World of race car driving.

Anyway, we survived the great camping trip of 2010, in fact i think i'm ready to try real life camping. There's no one i'd rather get stuck for 4 days w no running water than jake!! It's times like these that i'm reminded why God picked him out for me. Not only do we have so much fun together doing absolutely nothing, he is an eternal optimist which works well with me, the pessimist, or as i like to refer to myself, the realist. Overall the trip was a success, and i felt the Lord really meeting me through the book of John, as well as this book about Godly womanhood: Stepping Heavenward. it details the story of a young woman who gets married to her dream man, only to find that it is not completely satisfying and that her sin is under a magnifying glass! (story of my life). As she begins to face many challenges including having children, loneliness, and caring for his family, her contentment in Jesus slowly grows, sometimes so slowly it isn't even visible to her...yet she is constantly reminded that the Holy Spirit provides the growth in her life, not her hard work. reminds me of the apostle paul as he spoke to the philippians saying that he had learned to be content whatever the circumstances. (Phil 4:12)

I have much more to write ab on here...the Missions conference last weekend was awesome!! The 2 pastors that came to speak were from Christ Community Church in Tennessee, and their stories truly impacted my vision for my life! I'll write more about them later, but for now i want to share this with everyone!
Pastor Scotty Smith has a blog where he writes raw and vulnerable prayers to the Lord w scripture-prob some of the best i've ever read and have been using them in my personal prayer time--here is his blog check it!:
http://www.christcommunity.org/AboutUs/ChurchLeadership/Pastors/PastorScottySmith/ScottysBlog/tabid/175/Default.aspx





No comments:

Post a Comment